1.03.2007

Poor Willow and nature takes its course

From Linda:
I am happy to tell you that after being examined today by Dr Cronin - Hendrix was pronounced healthy and has returned to his new parents! We sent along antibiotics just in case he starts sneezing down the road a bit. But for now it appears he is fine. So say a prayer that he stays that way!

We also got the necropsy results on Willow. Apparently Willow had very severe lung damage back from the time period when she had all the abscess problems. She had several internal abscesses on the lungs that we had not known about. Her lungs were very badly scarred. One was totally useless and shrunken and the other had only partial function. She had chronic pneumonia apparently for many months. The twice a week antibiotic shots held it from advancing for a while but apparently the remaining lung abscessed and we think the abscess combined with all her other problems was too much for her. I was told it is amazing that she was with us for as long as she was. She was far sicker than any of us realized. Her chest x-rays didn't show how very badly damaged her lungs were. She was a tough lady. She fought hard to stay around and I do believe we all gave her an extra 9 month of happy time on this earth. I do so wish it could have been longer but I think we should all feel good that Willow got to know what being loved was like before she died. She learned about being well fed, warm in the winter and cool in the summer. She know love and hugs and the joy of binkies. And finally though it was only for a few short weeks she got to live in a home as part of a family. I'm so glad she came inside when she did. She had a couple of weeks that were free roam in the upstairs bathroom and she did enjoy that! Now I hope she is watching us from the Rainbow Bridge.

When I went to check on the bunnies this morning, Shaylah had tossed two of her babies from the nest. They were cold, but alive. I placed them gently back into the nest surrounded by their siblings to keep them warm, and then went to work. Sadly, when I returned home, 3 had passed away. 2 looked to be the ones from this morning. They all still have their eyes closed and are starting to get their fur coloring. I guess there was either something wrong with them, or she felt she couldn't care for all 9. We will never know, and nature takes over and we do not understand why. I, a long with others, was very deeply saddened. The other 6 appear to be continuing on their road of life. They were all warm when I checked both times today.

I had Chris, my husband, take in our cockatiel Jack yesterday to see Dr. P. We were given antibiotics, a prescription for cream (Thermazene) for his chest wound (self-inflicted) and a whole list of foods that you can feed them that is way better than seeds/pellets like macaroni, cereals, fruits and veggies, even occasional hot-dogs! I was dumbfounded, so I guess I will begin knowing a lot more about birds now than I ever thought. All 5 of our birds had breakfast with me on the kitchen table. It was quite messy, but enjoyable! Our lab-mix we adopted from the HS is showing signs of illness as well, over a year later. He is drinking a lot, becoming a slight bit incontinent, he regurgitated a couple of times just starting today, and his soft-pallet seems to be slipping quite a bit. He was 8-10 when we got him, though our first vet thought he may be older. We have an appointment for all 3 to go to the vet this coming week. Things are crazy here, as always, but maybe that's just the way it's meant to be.

No comments: