1.24.2007

A reflection on the sacrifices we make

I'm washing all the animal dishes in my dishwasher. I know this is a silly way to start an e-mail at the end of the day, but it took me back to June this year. I use to hand wash all my pet dishes, and I guess I let one of the clay ones soak to long. I look at my right middle knuckle which is still much bigger than it should be, reminiscing about the night last June I was hand-washing the animal dishes and one broke, I felt a slight pain on my right hand, and then saw a little blood. I couldn't move my middle finger any more (convenient for those people who cut me off on the highway!) and I looked to see something white poking out. I guess I went into shock, it was around 8pm and Chris wouldn't answer his phone till after 9pm as he teaches a Martial Arts class. I guess I called Ali in a panic because when I pushed down on my finger I saw something white coming out (I thought it was my bone) and was looking for people to take care of my rabbits if something happened to me. I was laughing, and when the ambulance pulled up I was on my phone, I'm pretty sure, with my friend Debbie. I use to ride 3rd party for Stamford Ambulance Corp. So I won't get into much detail on how screwed up these guys wrapped my hand (like a marshmallow, with the splint on the wrong side) or how long it took us to get to the hospital (because they were deciding on who would drive.) I now realize I should have just waited the extra half-hour for Chris to get home, I wasn't dying or anything, I had just severed my hand down to the bone and the white I saw was the tendon sticking out. Weird ambulance drivers not knowing where they were going (thank you anyways!) and an emergency bill later I was at a plastic surgeon getting locals in my hand (FREAKING HURT!!) and had my tendon re-attached. FUN! I remember going to our first Hop-A-Long Hollow Party less than a week later. I guess I thought of this tonight looking at my still swollen knuckle (scar tissue) and thinking of all the sacrifices we make. Linda is actually allergic to rabbits. She wears a mask to clean, especially in the warmer weather to take care of all in her charge. She has severe asthma, as does her daughter Chelsea, and you know what? They keep plugging on! These rabbits and their stories are so endearing to us, that I just don't understand why people don't look up proper rabbit care online or find out from a local shelter what it's all about. Don't look at breeder websites! They are mostly in it for the money. Look at RABBIT RESCUE WEBSITES such as ours www.hopalonghollow.org or www.rabbit.org and really figure it out! Sorry, but I have four baby bunnies downstairs from people that I brought in today that I don't think are going to make it, not because of the momma bunny, but because of what they went through where they were living. Ok, I just keep going, don't I? Good Night!

No comments: