3.25.2007

Meriden Humane Society, Petco, Parsley, Victoria, Storm

Well, let's see if I can do a quick run down of my weekend. Michelle and Jess, along with my sister Kristyn and myself all met at Petco on Saturday (Linda was there to set up and run back and forth for us!). We were there with rabbits and to do pictures from 10-4. We collected donations of about $150 even. Not a ton, but not bad, and we had also had Terry and Beth and others bring in baked goods that we had for sale too! On the way home I was on the phone with Linda (no big surprise there! Don't worry, I have a headset!) and it seems that Victoria was picked as a primary bonding bunny and we will be trying her with Stormy next week! This is WONDERFUL news! We also brought home with us a dwarf hamster and her 6 two week old babies, as well as 6 gerbils all looking for homes. Long day, went home, and of course cleaned the bunny cages. Only 32 here right now!

Sunday(Today)... Jess, my sister Kristyn and myself went up with more baked goods to the Meriden Humane Society that was left last year with a debt of $87,000. If the money is not raised, they will have to close down (you know what happens when animals have no place to go!). I have to tell you, it is a huge building, lots of volunteers, their cat room brought tears to our eyes as we saw all the cats that are altered and up to date on their shots free to roam a huge room (we want a bunny shelter like this one day!) with steps up to shelves and carpet pads attached to the walls for scratching posts. We took Polaroid pictures at $10 a pop and sold almost 4 rolls ($400) and also sold 103 raffle tickets ($1 for one or 6 for $5) so we really helped out today, and everyone was just so nice and so wonderful. We met a gentleman from Lymans Bakery that has offered to do some baked goods for us at any kind of event we plan to have. He was funny, and a sweet heart, kept us laughing! We were there from 12-6pm. We had so many dogs sit on our laps, and the "Easter Bunny" played many games of Peek-a-boo with children! I had a Golden Retriever puppy join me in my mask and licking my face! If you ever get a chance just to go up and check it out, they will be having bake sales for the next several Sundays. They had a radio station there to help out too, I got to hug the Dog Mascot WOOFER!

Alas, time to come home, clean up dog poop out of the yard, pack up Fenway (the lab that stayed the week), fill the bird feeders, feed the rabbits and do a quick clean up of the dirty bunnies (Penny bit me, little brat!) give Ivan his meds, and come to terms with the fact that this is Parsley's last night here with me. She jumped up on the bed this morning when we were just waking and laid down with Chris, myself and the cats. I have a few people saying I should keep her, and I would love to, heck, I'd love to keep almost all of them, but if I kept Parsley, then I couldn't have another bathroom bunny, and Billy got a great home, and I know Parsley's family (the little girl was so, so gentle with her) will give her a great home too. God is speaking with me tonight, trying to take away my sadness I guess. Anyone who knows me knows that I'm not afraid of the big animals with the big teeth, but the small animals. I hate to have my finger tips bitten, and I almost always refuse to go near dwarf hamsters, too many bites in the past. I had to, just had to open the lid of this small plastic cage the mommy dwarf and her babies are in. She let me give her a tiny piece of lettuce, and she sat still to let me stroke her. Another sign of hope? Perhaps. I touched a dwarf hamster tonight, and it was almost like she was consoling me. I want a facility. I really, really want a big room for our buns to go into like these cats have. There were quarantine type cages up off the floor for the cats still needing shots or to be spayed/neutered. I want that so bad for our bunnies. Do you know how great that would be both for us and our volunteers, let alone seeing what rabbits stick togehter and how they interact with each other. No cage aggression issues! I want it so very badly. What do we do from here? FUNDRAISING. You got it. PLEASE HELP!

Ok, Gonna go stuff paper tubes with hay and raisins and let Ivan aka. Twister (as Chris calls him) out for a little run! YAWN. Is tomorrow Monday AGAIN?

1 comment:

blank screen name said...

Furry foreclosure victims get fundraising lift from Valley Realtor


Cruelty to animals has long been a gut-wrenching topic of conversation for one dog-loving valley Realtor.


But the recent news that 55 dogs were "euthanized with guns" in Navajo County has sparked a fundraising drive, known as "Cause For Paws", that calls on the

people of Arizona to help give abandoned dogs and cats a better life.


Victoria Vodden has long been saddened in her day job by finding abandoned dogs and cats left by their owners at foreclosed houses in the valley and is now

urging others to help the Animals Benefit Club of Arizona in their quest to give these animals another chance at life.


Animals Benefit Club of Arizona is a no-kill rescue, rehabilitation and adoption sanctuary for dogs and cats located on 32nd Street and Bell, that was only

recently rescued itself with a huge fundraising drive that united a community of animal lovers in Phoenix.


Victoria, 30, who rescued her Chihuahua/Pug mix Paco from a shelter 13 years ago, said: "I can't believe how some people can treat animals. I understand

times are tough for everyone but in no way, shape or form do cats, dogs, or any other animal need to bear the brunt.


"My heart has been broken many times over by finding unwanted, scared pets in foreclosed houses and so often I have waited while the rescuers come to get

them.


"I donated to the Animals Benefit Club last year when it was fighting for its own life, and so I feel its appropriate to further boost the organisation that

does such good work in our community.


"I hope that by kicking off the Cause For Paws Campaign and enlisting my family, friends and colleagues we can genuinely give these animals a reason to be

cheerful and enjoy life that bit more while they wait for a new home."


The Cause For Paws Campaign is asking for cash donations but as well is collecting food, treats, toys and anything that will help improve the quality of life

for the animals. People are also welcome to volunteer at the shelter, and the Animals Benefit Club of Arizona could certainly use the help.


XXX, from ABC, said: "We're thrilled at this show of support and would encourage everyone to give what they can to this worthy cause, especially as we enter

the hot summer months."


For more information or to donate visit www.firstgiving.com/Causeforpaws or www.animalsbenefitclub.com.