3.05.2007

Black Bear Hamster: Claudie's Blog NYHH

Hi Brandee and Everyone,

The 5 adorable Black Bear hamsters I picked up at The Hollow on Sat. turned out to be two girls and two boys and Mom. I could see how they were not easy to esx as the boys are not, ahem, as well-endowed in the testicular department as they get when they are fully adults, and one of them is that teeny tiny "runt" (SO CUTE!) -- I am hoping that this means that they are too young to have made any of the females pregnant! At any rate, I have the boys in a separate cage than the girls. Though eventually they will need to live solitarily (a characteristic of adult Syrian hamsters), they are now still snuggling together and not fighting. However, if they show any signs of starting to fight, fortunately, I still have Ella's cages (from the Ghent Great Hamster Caper:-)) into which I can move them. And I will be bringing them to the wonderful Jessica Wells (www.nyhh.org) who will have them up for adoption (she tells me that she's had several requests for Syrians), though I may keep the little runt, depending on his health and well-being -- I am hoping that he is just unusually small but not "genetically challenged" in any other way.Best,
Claudie (The Hamster Whisperer:-))

No comments: