4.02.2007

Rosie, Victoria, Storm, Mikey Fitch, Ivan, Dakota, Annabelle, JoJo


Saturday evening Rosie started to do some mouth-breathing (not common unless illness strikes these nasal breathing animals). It confirmed my worst fears. When Dr. Pieper did her spay last month (maybe 2 months ago?) he took out a large tumor that tested cancerous. He had mentioned that a lot of times they spread to the lungs next. We were holding out for an x-ray after giving her about a month or so. I decided that she couldn't be sitting in a cage by herself for what might be her final stage of life, and Linda gave me the OK to try her with Cinni and Rags, two of my permanent residents. They took to Rosie with no problem at all, all of them grooming each other and sleeping together. I had to take Rosie into Dr. Pieper today. Her x-rays showed that her lungs, both, are covered in tumors. There is nothing we can do, no surgery to fix the damage. She had some lasix today and a shot of steroids, and now we wait. I just can't believe it, I can't believe after all she has been through in her life that it has to come down to this so soon. I just want so much for her to have more time, more time with Cinni and Rags, more time with me. It's just not fair. The two bunnies from last week, the Flemish and the mix that came in are doing better. They had been found outside and are so malnourished I believe in my head that they were hutch bunnies that weren't taken care of. I have trapped 6 plus rabbits this year, none looking "starved." They had ear-mites so bad that pieces of their ears are missing. They have been gobbling down food and critical care. They have had baths and I took them with me to have them weighed again at Dr. Piepers today. He just shook his head at their condition.




Annabelle is what the Flemmish girls name is. Dakota is the brown mix.
They were treated with dog-mite medicine, which can kill a rabbit. I was pleased to see them still alive the next morning. They have been bathed (coats were a mess). Yesterday I gave them oral promectin and tonight I will start with Vaseline with vitamin E in their ears where the bloody scabs are. Dr. Pieper says it looks like the mites are moving out! They both have huge bald spots in several places on their bodies. They are unsteady on their feet, and more than likely, muscle atrophy. I really believe they were hutched. Ivan is totally tripping again. I will be going to pick up more of the Chloro to continue on (not a single dose missed since day one!) his hopeful road to recovery. I started him on Bicillin injections. I need him to get better, I really do.
Mikey Fitch, now known as Arlis, is now happily bonded to Emily. I'll get some pictures up soon! They are back at Emily's house with her bunny slaves the Huber's. Bonding didn't work out for Hoppy and Victoria, but Victoria and Stormy went to their new home this weekend too! They looked very happy together! It's been a great couple of months of adoptions! Oh, we need to all welcome Jo-Jo, our new spayed bunny girl that is looking for a home. Free range cuteness, very outgoing, doesn't care about my dogs or cats. Very cute and curious, very good with her litter box!
We have a new foster mommy, Michelle Malone. She is currently housing Shaylah's 3 girls and Jellybean for us. Shaylah and Steve will be accompanying me to work next week so I can try to see if they will bond back together now that they are altered and their children are grown. Flash, one of their sons who is the best Bunny-500 bunny, has now taken up residence at the Hollow in Norwalk.

No comments: