6.03.2008

Another Month Goes By...

Ok, we are down to the final 4 weeks of pregnancy, and still we have rabbits everywhere. I've calmed down a bit now knowing that help is all over the place if only I cave in and ask for it (I try to do everything myself and my belly is catching up with me!). We took in 11 rabbits a couple of weeks ago from an "accidental backyard breeder" in Trumbull. I guess the bunnies have been breeding for about 6 years and they had been giving them to a pet store that was selling them. My heart goes out to all the rabbits now sitting in uneducated homes (or lonely hutches). We have 7 in foster with Ali's family in 2 locations, and 4 at my house. We took in 3 bunnies from a NY shelter that were going to be euthanized (already neutered though!) and besides Camille that was caught at the beach last month (and now in her new home with owner Robert who is in bunny-love!) Linda also caught a 2-3 pound netherland dwarf running on the streets of Norwalk. We have a flemmish baby (6-7 pounds already) and also another bunny that we believe will be a giant chinchilla rabbit when she grows older. Now, don't go thinking we are just taking bunnies in! We have had several adoptions and bondings, and lots of phone calls coming in, so hopefully they keep coming. Jamie left to be bonded with Claudius (adorable lop), and Diego (aka Groucho) left today for his new home with the lovely rex Honey. Camille (as I mentioned above) left last week as did Odelle from NY and Chester, also from NY. I know there is more, but I honestly have less memory this month than usual. Oh, we had a bunny come in from Danbury too that was running loose. Shelly from the Chinchilla Depot was gracious enough not only to house her for a couple of nights, but to also drive down to Danbury to bring her to me while I was visiting my in-laws. THANK YOU SHELLY!

Things at the Hollow have also been hectic - Linda has been putting in so much "Overtime" with cleaning and rabbit paper work, Ebay, vet visits, IV's and meds along with force feedings on ill rabbits including Bun-Jovi who currently has no use of his hind legs and Bugsy with severe head-tilt, and so much more that I wish the volunteers who call in because for whatever reason they can't make it that day, could see how much she has to do and how much she is set back when she is left to clean all the cages herself. It seriously takes about 20 minutes per force feeding on a rabbit and we have 2 at the moment that are being done, and force feedings are 3-4 times a day. If anyone has any suggestions on bringing in more volunteers or is in the vicinity of the Norwalk area and can hang up "volunteers needed" fliers, please let me know. The more volunteers we have, the fewer cages each has to do, and the less likely Linda will end up having to do them. She is just so exhausted, we need more help. We are still trying to cut down on all our numbers, and we have put an absolute halt on any more rabbits coming in until her home and my home have no more fosters inside and everyone is moved into the Hollow. We are also turning away all other small animals at this time, it's sad, but it has to be done.

3 weeks ago we had to have our Rattie Girl Rodelli put down due to cancer. Last Thursday JD, our old lab-mix we adopted from the HS nearly 3 years ago, had to be put down. Today I lost a rabbit to pneumonia/heart failure. It's been a long month.

HOLLOW NEEDS: Paper Towels, 39 gallon black garbage bags, newspapers, pre-stuffed paper-tubes... We also need some serious funding this month. The X-rays, meds, etc... are catching up with us this month. Any and all help is not only appreciated, but needed - and don't forget it's a tax-write off!




Last Thursday:

I had spoken to Dr. Pieper yesterday about when we might be ready for JD (black lab mix) to come in to be put down, and we talked about getting him in to do blood-work on Friday to find out the reasons for his hind-leg weakness and loss of appetite, also his "night moods." He's been going a little senile and just hasn't been himself the past few months. Last night when I came home, there was blood all over the driveway and steps from a growth that he has had on his front leg since we got him 3 years ago. I got the bleeding to stop and he went to bed. I left a note for Chris to let the dogs out and check on him when he got home. He got home at 1am and woke me. JD gnawed the thing off his leg and more blood everywhere, walls, floor.... It only added to his weakness he's been having. Chris mortared down some Yarrow and packed the wound, bandaged him up, cleaned up all the blood, I made him an e-collar and we put him to bed around 2 am. We had him to the vet first thing this morning - he couldn't walk down the driveway - fell on his face. Couldn't sit in the car - just fell over - and couldn't stand up at the Dr. s office. I was waiting for a sign, but didn't expect it to come this soon. JD was put down around 11 am today, and I am so sad, not just for his being gone, but I wanted him to have one more summer with the Romeo kids that he loves so much.

No comments: