8.28.2007

Linda's Day, as told by Linda...

It’s been another wonderful day in the life. Makes me wonder so often why we all do this. Life would be so simple without these poor little creatures. I’d get to eat undisturbed and sleep occasionally too.

It started early this AM with the phone ringing with yet another woman wanting to dump her no longer wanted bunny on the Hollow. I told her as I have told 100 other people this last month that w have space for 50 and we are already at 68. I just can’t take any more bunnies in under any circumstances.

I ended up cleaning Chelsea’s bunnies because I felt so guilty about yesterday and the insanity I caused upstairs. I’ll tell that story first!

I had a good shopping trip to Goodwill yesterday where I picked up an adorable double decker plastic doll bed that’s perfect for a bonded pair of bunnies. I decided to give it to Simon Peter and Punky. They adored it! They jumped on both levels and inspected it thoroughly. Then Punky decided to use it as a springboard and jumped as high as she could, cleared her pen and landed in the pen next door with the three girls! The three girls decided they would happily kill Punky the evil intruder and each other while they were at it. It was quite a sight. 4 bunnies all trapped in a 4’ pen trying to kill each other with me screaming and tossing a full size garbage can over top of Punky to keep her safe till I could climb into the pen. I managed to separate all four bunnies and kept batting them to the sides of the pen till Chelsea heard my screams and came running. With time the situation calmed down and the girls forgot they were trying to kill each other and Punky was happily reunited with Simon. Everyone was fine except Chelsea and I. But we survived.

This morning I cleaned Chelsea’s bunnies, vacuumed the shelter for Michele who was arriving soon to start cleaning half of the shelter today. Did a dump run with 12 garbage bags of bunny trash and a load of bunny laundry. Came downstairs and cleaned the 6 bunnies down stairs. Called Brandee to check in and talked with Michele a while about Indiana’s pending adoption. Called South Wilton to make an appointment, cleaned the cage of the guinea pig I was babysitting for and got him ready to return home this afternoon. Turned away another bunny on the phone then did the dishes and l cleaned my bathroom. Spoke to another lady who was worried her bunny was in stasis and helped as much as I could.

I met Maria and her daughter here at noon so they could visit their bunny Snowy who has been recovering here from his broken leg. They visited for an hour, Michele left, Teresa who cleans the other half arrived and a lovely family called who wanted to meet the bunnies. I set the appointment for 4PM as the other family was picking up their piggie at 3:30. Mr Pig left for home and the family came and visited and tried to decide on what bunny they wanted to have join their family, while yet another volunteer arrived to brush bunnies and give hugs and pets to everyone. Of course they really wanted to see the bun I had sent to Brandee’s yesterday to be neutered so they left and will be back Friday night. Fantasia stopped by as I raced to get to the Post Office and get back here for the next appointment. Another typical day in this neighborhood.

I spent part of the night on the computer commiserating with Brandee about bunnies and how much time they take out of our lives. She had the same kind of day and was deeply saddened about a bunny she is caring for while a friend is away who has severe healthy problems and cannot move. He has urine scald and requires a lot of care and he doesn’t seem to be getting better. We were talking about him and when it’s time to say “that’s enough”. To put a living creature to sleep forever still remains the hardest decision for both of us,. Selfishly I thought to myself thank goodness it’s her that has to make the decision this time and not me. Well- I should not have thought that! I got punished. I was busy complaining because there are two sneezers in the shelter tonight when......

A friend of Chelsea's made a late visit tonight about 10:30 and he stopped in my office and said ”Linda, you do know there is a rabbit in a cardboard box outside your door don’t you?” I smiled and said good joke Noel. They I realized from the look on his face he wasn’t kidding.

On the road outside the front gate was a huge cardboard box with holes cut in the side and a whole carrot and apple inside it. Also a syringe of water and a bunch of bunny food and hay. Along with the goodies was the most pitiful bunny I have ever seen. A beautiful young,yellow Lop with two completely splayed front legs and it appears in complete inability to move his back legs. His tummy fur is a solid urine soaked matt and he is covered in urine scald. He cannot move at all. He will take small amounts of Critical Care and I have given him pain meds. The first thing in the morning we are heading to South Wilton to find out if he has a chance. It may be that his back legs are so weak from hunger that he may be able to regain some movement. I have no idea. I hope the doctor can make the call if he has a chance. If he does then I will do whatever I can to make it work. He is gentle and beautiful. He is frail, skinny and appears half dead. Somewhere someone tried their best to help him. Obviously someone has used the syringe to try to give him water,. Someone cared enough to really try but didn’t have the knowledge needed. We may never know his history but oh my god - how very sad.

I have just finished his 4th force feeding. He has had pain meds and we will both go to sleep now. I know that somewhere someone is wondering how he is doing. I don’t understand why they didn’t call and ask for help instead of leaving him in a box outside in the dark all alone. So vulnerable. With the raccoons and animals around here at night if Noel hadn’t visited he probably would have been killed by the time I found the box in the morning. Apparently some higher power had decided he gets another chance so I’m going to do my best to give it to him. I’ll update tomorrow on what the doctor say. I am seeing that he is regaining a little use of the back legs. I think he is starved and dehydrated perhaps he was too weak to move them. He can now propel himself a few inches before they give out. So perhaps he does have a chance. All I know is that I'm tired and angry and confused. I can only imagine how he feels. Say a prayer guys, send white light, whatever you believe in. He needs all the help he can get.

Hey if anyone can fill in for me at the hollow tomorrow or Wednesday please let me know. This guy is going to take some intensive nursing care for a couple of days and I have no volunteer for Tuesday and Wednesday is a partial volunteer who may not be able to make it. I'm feeling overwhelmed at the moment. Wondering why I got myself into this mess. It's been pretty intense lately for both Brandee and I. I could really use your help if anyone has some extra time to donate day or evening. Linda

No comments: