9.07.2007

Great Blog From Linda! Many Pet updates!!!

Just wanted to update you all on the little lop eared bunny who was dropped off in the cardboard box on my sidewalk yesterday. She saw Dr. Fahey at South Wilton Vet Group last week and after cutting away some of the matted fur was diagnosed as a female. So please,everyone, meet Rose. Rose is doing far better than expected. She is developing some real mobility in her hind legs and can propel herself across the floor quite quickly though I believe it is very painful for her with the horrible urine scald that covers her entire tummy. Painful or not when I approach with the medications she manages to get away from me rather well! All four of her hocks have severe deep infected sores and the doctor is very concerned about getting them to heal. It will take a long time and a lot of work but I think we can do it. Rose is on antibiotics, pain medication, Critical Care force feedings and cream for her wounded feet and tummy. After she heals a bit I'm going to start with Bag Balm and nu-skin on those poor feet. She is doing well with the stasis issues which I believe were brought on by her inability to get herself to food. Any movement was extremely painful for her with that horrible matted fur tugging at her fire red, burned skin. Thankfully there was no fly strike! She has a long, long way still to go and probably months of treatment but she looks and acts like a different bunny just a week later. I'm thrilled with the progress and feel confident it's going to continue. While initially I expected to have to make the horrible decision about euthanasia I feel pretty certain that is not going to happen! Now, I have a plea. If anyone reading this blog has any information about this bunny please, PLEASE call me on the Hollow number at 203-247-4661. I will not attempt to find out who you are if you are the one who dropped here here. You obviously tried very hard to help her yourself and you did help a lot by getting her here that night. I had the medications she needed and I believe we will be able to return her to relative health. But...some information on her history would be very helpful and only you can provide that. I promise I will do nothing to try to find out who you are unless you decide to tell me.Our splay legged bunny boy, Tennessee Jed was neutered last week along with Martin the little amputee bun and every one's favorite bunny Zippy. All did well and will be returning home tomorrow. When Jed's hormone levels drop and he is ready for a friend we will be adopting Rose to be his bond mate. I believe with Jed's spunky attitude he will inspire Rose to great goals like raiding the garbage can together with our dog Jessie!

A few months ago Rain was adopted into a loving family and yesterday I was delighted to get this update. How exciting. Rain is perfect for the job! Amanda writes....We have come to call Rain - Eeyore because of her beautiful coloring and her docile temperament. We think it fits her perfectly! And I thought you would be pleased to know that Eeyore is starting her certification to become a therapy bunny. I have been wanting to get involved with that for quite some time, and our three dogs and 2 cats aren't up for the job. When I found the Delta Society, I became informed that they register rabbits, guinea pigs, llamas and birds, as well as many other domesticated species, in addition to dogs and cats. And since Eeyore is one of the sweetest, calmest rabbits I have ever met, I thought she would be perfect, and she could touch a lot of hearts and improve the quality of a lot of people's lives. My little sister will be joining the team when she turns 16. We are very excited!



Guy & Christine who some time ago adopted the Flemish "Gentle Giant" and a beautiful big beautiful tan bunny named "Bambi" have moved to South Carolina. Christine writes about the journey...
All the babies fit in the van amazingly enough, 13 cats, 4 rabbits, 4 chinchillas, 2 mice, 4 rescue birds, and Guy and I..............and MrBiggs the dog. I was so scared they would not make the 13 hour drive, but all were well and in better condition than we were, we had told the house owners we had pets and they didn't know how many but the eyes got wider and wider as we took them out I wanted to put them in the barn till settlement but he would not hear of it, animal lovers, you cant beat them! We have 3 acres surrounded by cornfields and a neighbour half a mile away it suits me to a tee. What a journey Christine! Congratulations on your new home! Our best to you and yours in your new home and with your wildlife rehab!



A great note from Greer who adopted Elvis last month as a friend for Gussie......

Shadow is up for adoption if anyone has it in their heart to adopt a very healthy old timer kitty! Let me just explain the picture first off, I did not get one when all five animals were in the cage nestled together, but God I wish I had. These animals just amaze me, no care for the fact that something isn't their species, simply a nice warm belly to sleep on. Everyone is doing well, I have to bring Shadow to the vet tomorrow however and get the Soft Claw caps cut off because for some reason he isn't shedding his nails like my other two do and they are getting so long that they are starting to grow into his paw pads and I can't clip them through the caps. As for Gussie and Elvis, they spend much time exploring and cuddling in their cardboard condo, still having trouble keeping Elvis out of the cat's litter box, he likes digging, I guess it could be worse, he manages to get into some of the most obscure uncomfortable looking positions when he sleeps legs sticking out all over the place, absolutely hilarious, and they are beginning to share their food better, Gussie now goes up to the bowl as soon as I put it in and they do the whole Lady and Tramp spaghetti thing but with celery sticks instead, adorable! Oh and I included a pic of shadow, even though I know you don't know him, but to see him the way he is now compared to the poor terrified and terrorized animal he was when he came to me 4 months ago, it is like a miracle, you would never know it was the same cat.



No comments: