5.06.2007

Scruffy, Meds galore, Sterling, Colorado, a Flemish Visit

Things are hectic, but there are more “light hours” in the day, so I guess I’m feeling better. There are 20 rabbits here, and 10 are on meds 1x or BID. It’s a lot of remembering… Penny, Butterscotch and Cleo get Baytril BID and a shot of Bicillin every two days. Heather is Baytril BID, Ivan Chloro BID and Otic ear drops BID, Ringo gets Lotrimin 1x a day, Milo gets Baytril and Otic drops BID, Cinnamon (dwarf) gets Critical Care (CC) 4x a day, Reglan 3x a day and Metacam BID a long with simethicone drops when needed. And then we have the new bunny… I got a call from Trumbull Animal Control that they had a bunny they just trapped outside that had puss oozing from its mouth and wanted to know if we knew of or had any antibiotics for this. I immediately thought of my first bunny Jackie and her facial abscess. I asked if I could take the bunny, and a volunteer there met me and I took him. He is a Rosie Ba-Dosie look alike, a grey and white dutch. He has a double eye infection, fur mites, he’s dehydrated, front teeth are crooked (probably back ones too and due to poor diet) and he is just the most beautiful and loving bunny (OK, maybe just because he is sick, he could turn into our old friend “Trouble!”) and he has a horrible abscess in the front of his mouth that I squeezed a couple of cotton swabs filled with smelly (ICK) gross and thick puss out of. This poor bunny… I can’t imagine a gaping hole in my mouth and trying to eat/drink and function comfortably with. I only hope it’s not into his jaw and in his blood stream already. I picked him up and gave him a Bicillin injection, 20cc’s of Lactated Ringer, 20cc of Critical Care, Promectin for his furmites, Gentak drops for his eye infection, and Metacam for the pain. The poor little guy has been so poked and prodded by me today, and still he wants to snuggle with me. That is the reward. I will do the best I can by him and ask for God’s assistance in it all. He’s the only miracle worker I know!


Fantasia found a parakeet out front of her store in Westport this week, it is residing with Chelsea. I bonded Fawn and Bandit this past week and will work on Angela and Snowy starting this evening. I have Tilly and Tucker here for their neuter/spay appointments tomorrow and Thumpie and Spunky are done and ready to go home (un bonded – too hormonal right now!). Juliet left to go to her new home yesterday. Sterling, 16 year old dwarf bunny girl of Linda’s, had to be put to sleep last week after having a stroke and losing use of her hind legs. She will be missed. Colorado left for his new home in the City, and a couple of weeks ago I had a special giant visit:
Ok, I’m going to head out, see if I can get that appointment with Dr. P tomorrow and remember what else is going on, I’ll write more.

No comments: