5.13.2007

Scruffy dies, WIC, Hamsters & Gerbils, Spunky & Thumpie, Carolina, Tilly & Thomas

OK, again it’s been over a week. It’s been a busy and hard week. Scruffy came here last Sunday, went to Dr. Pieper’s on Monday and went under to have all his teeth ground down, apparently his mouth was a total mess, but Dr. P said I did a great job getting all the puss out off the abscess in his mouth. Tuesday he was eating a bit, but Tuesday night he was just sitting hunched. I suspected that there might be blood poisoning from the abscess, but didn’t want to give up. I slept on the couch with him on Tuesday night, his head under my chin, both of us wrapped in blankets. Wednesday morning I just knew he was going, I took his temp and it was 98.8….Hypothermia. I got him to BAH when they opened, and he passed away at around 10:00 a.m. That just really sucked, sorry for those who don’t like the word, but it did. To lose him, after seeing his condition and having hope, it just hurt. Dr. P is doing his necropsy for us to find out what happened for sure. He had been seen by another vet the week before, and I believe in my heart if he was treated differently, medically speaking, he would have had a chance, the same as Jackie, my very first bunny. I’ll keep you posted.

I didn’t mention that Juliet was adopted last week yet, and also Carolina was adopted. Tilly and Thomas got spayed and neutered last week, and I have kept them together since, they were and awesome bond and the siblings went back to their new home this morning. I tried bonding Angela with Snowy, but they seem to really need more time being next to each other first, he just keeps on mounting her an driving her crazy. We will try again. This week I will work on bonding Spunky (Tink’s son) and Thumpie (Alise’s son) together. They were neutered last week as well. Wish me luck. If they don’t bond now, I will try them later too. Raven has been adopted, and she will hopefully be bonded to Ivory. Michelle M. who is fostering 6 for us now would like to take Cadbury for a couple of weeks to work with, so we will arrange for it to happen. It was a funny day Friday with Michelle M. I took her out on a typical day with me. I picked her up a little after 9:00am with 2 hamsters, 1 mouse and 2 gerbils already in the car. We went to Petco and picked up several more cages and had to maneuver them around to fit in 2 Guinea Pigs that we later dropped at Dr. Poster’s office, and 6 Gerbils and a dwarf hamster, not all in one cage, so it was a tight squeeze. We then went to HALH Norwalk and dropped the gerbils, hammies and mouse off then stayed to clean a while before proceeding to volunteer at Wildlife in Crisis. I got to clean a few bird and bunny cages, and then we were sent out to our big task of cleaning out the big Great Horned Owl cage. We cleaned, got covered in poop and collected lots of feathers. (I hope Michelle will come back with me next week!) We left to drop the GP’s after that, then I dropped Michelle at home in time to pick up her kids from school and then I went home to clean my own little critters. It was a day well spent, but passed to quickly. I don’t know what else to say right now but happy Mother’s Day to all moms, including all those that only have fur-kids. We all know what we put into it!

No comments: